The GetReal Institute builds on seven years of multi-stakeholder collaboration to promote a promote greater understanding of RWE.
Evolution of GetReal over the years
Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI)
The Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) is a public–private partnership between the EU and the pharmaceutical industry whose mission is to improve health by speeding up the development of, and patient access to, innovative medicines.
Launched in 2008, IMI is the largest life sciences partnership of its kind. IMI-1 (2008-13) and IMI-2 (2014-2020) have a combined budget of over €5 billion, approximately half of which is provided by the pharmaceutical industry. IMI has supported over 150 projects, some focused on specific conditions and others such as GetReal on broader challenges in medicine development.
The GetReal Project (2013-2017)
The GetReal project was a consortium bringing together pharmaceutical manufacturers, academic groups, research agencies, a patients’ organisation (IAPO), small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), and regulatory and health technology assessment agencies.
Its aim was to show how robust new methods of real-world evidence (RWE) collection and synthesis could be adopted earlier in pharmaceutical research and development (R&D) and the healthcare decision-making process.
- Brought together healthcare decision makers, academics, pharmaceutical companies, clinicians and other societal stakeholders
- assessed existing processes, methodologies and key research issues
- Proposed innovative trial designs and assessed the value of information
- Proposed and tested innovative analytical and predictive modelling approaches
- Assessed operational challenges, and proposed and tested the impact of solutions
- Created new tools to support decision-making, and to use in evaluating development programmes and assessing the value of new medicines
- Shared and discussed project outputs with healthcare decision makers, academics, pharmaceutical companies, clinicians and other societal stakeholders
- Developed training for researchers, healthcare decision makers and societal stakeholders in the public and private sector to increase knowledge about the use of RWE in demonstrating relative effectiveness of medicines.
In 2017 GetReal produced recommendations in Advancing Evidence Generation for New Drugs.
The GetReal Initiative (2018-2021)
The original GetReal project was followed by the GetReal Initiative which runs from 2018 to 2021. The objective of this project is to drive the sustainable adoption of tools, methodologies and best practices from GetReal, which will increase the quality of real-world evidence generation in drug development and regulatory/health technology assessment processes across Europe.